Reasons To Incorporate Turnip In Daily Diet
Turnip is known as Shalgam in hindi. Although turnip is a common vegetable but it is not used very commonly. It has many health benefits so it should be used. It has high levels of nutrients, minerals, fiber and vitamin C.
Why should you consume turnip?
- High levels of potassium and fiber reduces blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels. Further they also help in removal of the deposited cholesterol from the arteries and thus prevents atherosclerosis.
- Fiber present in turnip helps in easy bowel movement and therefore, relieves from constipation, bloating, diarrhea and cramps.
- Iron increases the blood count and thus, treats anemia. It increases the blood circulation and transport of oxygen to the cells.
- Vitamin C that is ascorbic acid boosts the immune system and increases the production of white blood cells and antibodies.
- Calcium is high in turnip. It increases the bone strength and also helps in the growth and repair of the bones. It prevents arthritis.
- Vitamin E, vitamin C, manganese and beta carotene all function like antioxidants. And these antioxidants fights off cancer and also prevents its spreading from one organ to the other.
- The leafy part of the turnip has high content of omega 3 fatty acid and vitamin K. These helps in lowering the inflammation and is therefore, good for treating gout, other chronic inflammatory diseases.
- Since it is low in calories therefore, it is good for weight loss.
- It reduces the risk of obesity, lung disorder, pancreatic problems, diabetes and bladder.
- High amounts of lutein prevents from cataract.