Health Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are known as “Methi Dana” in hindi. It is an integral part of every Indian household. Fenugreek seeds have immense health benefits and this is mainly due to the presence of saponins and fiber along with vitamins like vitamin B6 and minerals like iron, magnesium, manganese and copper. It also has protein and contains phytonutrients like choline, trigonelline, yamogenin, gitogenin, diosgenin, tigogenin and neotigogens. These seeds are bitter in taste but when cooked, tastes great.
Why should you consume fenugreek seeds?
- It has anti-inflammatory compounds which reduces the inflammation and therefore, cures ulcerative colitis. Antioxidants and fiber prevents constipation, improves digestion and reduces stomach pain.
- It shows positive effect in lowering the cholesterol and triglycerides as the steroidal saponin present in fenugreek seeds prevents absorption of cholesterol and triglycerides. It prevents hardening of arteries as well.
- Since it can reduce inflammation therefore it can treat various diseases like mouth ulcers, boils, bronchitis, tuberculosis, chronic cough, cancer and kidney ailments.
- It forms the natural treatment for arthritis.
- It absorbs sugar slowly and stimulates insulin accordingly. It also lowers the blood sugar level, therefore good for diabetic person. It has an amino acid which induces the production of insulin too.
- It is effective in curing many male related problems like erectile dysfunction, baldness and hernia. It reverses impotency naturally.
- It increases the production of the milk in lactating mother as it acts as a galactagogue i.e., a substance which increases the milk production.
- Apart from lowering internal inflammation, it reduces external inflammations like gout, wounds, ulcers, pain, swelling, dandruff, eczema and sciatica..
- It increases body strength and thus, improves athlete's performance.
- It is good for heart due to the presence of galactomannan. Potassium counteracts sodium and thus keeps the blood pressure normal.
- It cures acid reflux or heartburn easily. It sooths the inner inner lining of the gastrointestinal tract.
- It also helps in weight loss as it contains soluble fiber which expands in stomach and therefore suppresses the appetite.
- Fenugreek seeds helps in treating fever and effectively treats cough and pain due to sore throat as it has high amounts of mucilage content.
- It induces childbirth by causing uterine contraction.
- Diosgenin and isoflavones present in the fenugreek seeds prevents postmenopausal symptoms and reduces cramps, mood swings and hot flashes.
- It prevents colon cancer by removing toxins from colon.
- It treats skin disorders like wrinkles, pimples, blackheads and acne.
- It reduces thinning of hair and dandruff.
- It is helpful in treating any kind of kidney related diseases.