Why every family should have sesame seeds this winter
Sesame seeds is one of the ancient foods found on the earth. It has the highest content of oil among all seeds available. It has lignan compounds like sesamin and sesamolin. It has phenolic compounds like sesamol and sesaminol. Sesame seeds are rich in linoleic acid, oleic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, thiamine, folate, vitamin B6, and amino acids like tryptophan, lysine and methionine.
Why should you consume sesame seeds?
- Sesame seeds have phytoestrogen property due to the presence of phyto-nutrients like fatty acids and antioxidants therefore, helps in lowering cholesterol effectively. The phytosterol level of sesame seeds is highest so it ranks highest in cholesterol lowering. They work by decreasing the absorption of the cholesterol in the intestine.
- It is the number one source of calcium.
- Lignans found in sesame seeds lowers the cholesterol both in the liver and the blood therefore, improves the lipid profile and also regulates blood pressure. Ths helps in keeping the heart healthy and prevents atherosclerosis.
- Sesame oil lowers the blood pressure naturally. It acts as a powerful antihypertensive and presence of magnesium which is a vasodilator reduces the blood pressure effectively within 2 months.
- Lignans helps in the production of the sex hormone therefore, balances the hormones nicely especially in postmenopausal women. It improves the serum sex hormone binding and production, reduces total cholesterol levels and also improves the antioxidant levels.
- Being rich in nutrients, proteins, minerals, fatty acids they form extremely healthy food for pregnant women.
- Sesame seeds are excellent source of mammalian lignan precursor like enterolactone and enterodiol which possess anticancer properties therefore, prevents colon and breast cancer. It forms the natural cancer treatment food. Phytate an uncommon compound is found in sesame seeds which fights off free radicals effectively and prevents their oxidation and also helps in lowering heart diseases, premature aging and cognitive impairment. Sesame seeds can also prevent other forms of cancer like leukemia, lung, pancreatic and prostate cancer.
- The fat found in sesame seeds regulates the hunger hormone called ghrelin. It reduces its production and this gives the feeling of fullness which in turn helps in reducing weight. Therefore, it is regarded as fat burning food.
- Lignans found in sesame seeds acts like antioxidant and helps in the absorption of vitamin E and other phytochemicals from the food.
- Diabetes can be prevented and managed with the use of sesame seeds as it is rich in magnesium which decreases the chances of occurrence of diabetes and sesame seeds also regulates insulin and glucose levels.
- Zinc, phosphorus, calcium and magnesium all helps in keeping the bones healthy and also prevents osteoporosis.
- The fiber found in sesame seeds helps in the regulation of the bowel movement and thus treats constipation and diarrhea. It also protects both intestine and colon health.
- Copper being anti-inflammatory in nature, reduces inflammation and treats arthritis.
- Sesamol is a phenolic compound which protects the DNA from harmful effects of radiation.
- It is excellent in keeping good oral health due to its antibacterial and astringent properties.
- Zinc keeps hair, skin and muscle tissue healthy by producing collagen. It prevents premature aging.
- Because of its high protein content, it boosts the metabolic activity of the body and provides increased strength and energy.
- Iron helps in treating anemia.