Pinto beans is known as “chitri vala rajma” in hindi. Pinto beans are also known as Bush Bean, Common Bean, Dwarf Bean, French Bean, Green Bean, Climbing Bean and by many other names. The reason they are named as pinto beans is because they resemble pinto horse and in Spanish pinto means “painted”. It has originated in America. Pinto Beans are rich in nutrients, dietary fiber, minerals like iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and vitamins like vitamin B9, vitamin B6, vitamin B1. It has amino acids like tryptophan, threonine, isoleucine, leucine and lysine.
Why should you consume pinto beans?
- Pinto beans contain antioxidants like polyphenol and flavonoids like kaempferol which helps in reducing the inflammation and slows down the growth of tumor thus fights off cancer.
- It is considered as a powerful cholesterol reducing food, therefore prevents heart disease.
- It prevents or reduces the risk of breast cancer due to its high fiber content which prevents reabsorption of estrogen.
- The presence of complex carbohydrate helps in slower digestion of the food thus gives the feeling of fullness and prevents spike in insulin and blood sugar levels. Thus, it is good for diabetic patient and also helps in preventing metabolic syndrome.
- The fiber helps to cure constipation and other digestive related issues.
- It is beneficial for treating sciatica, rheumatism, dropsy, kidney and bladder problems, uric acid accumulation, and loss of albumin in the urine during pregnancy.
- It is also useful in treating ulcers and sores.
- It keeps the skin moist and also treats itching, eczema and prevents eruptions.