Osteoarthritis V/S Osteoporosis
Although Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis are two very different medical conditions, the similarity of their names causes great confusion. These conditions develop differently, have different symptoms, have different ways of diagnosis and treatment. The cause of confusion is the word “osteo”. As both the diseases have the same prefix therefore it is misunderstood most of the times.
Difference between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis - The word osteoarthritis derived from the Greek word part osteo - meaning "of the bone", combined with arthritis - meaning “inflammation of joints”. It is a disease characterized by degeneration of cartilage in the joints. The cause of its degeneration is chronic inflammation caused by proteins from animal food consumption including dairy and our modern western diet that is rich in fat, processed sugar & less nutrients. It’s symptoms include pain, swelling of joints and stiffness.
- Osteoporosis - The word osteoporosis comes from the Greek terms “porous bones”. It is a disease caused due to both nutritional deficiency and excess protein in diet from animal food especially. It’s a process of thinning of bones, leading to bone loss and fracture. It is often seen more in postmenopausal women as their estrogen level drops and increases the risk of fracture and women lose more bone than they replace. For men, it is associated with both estrogen and testosterone levels. Even calcium deficiency contributes to osteoporosis but not greatly. It can be treated with plant based & nutrition dense diet rich in magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin K and many other essential vitamins, minerals & phytochemicals.
Two Similarities between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis
- Both are absolutely reversible and preventable - As per the traditional treatment of drugs & surgery, which are meant for acute care & not chronic diseases, osteoarthritis or osteoporosis is neither preventable nor reversible. However if we treat the underlying cause of the disease, both these diseases are absolutely reversible and preventable. People should completely refrain themselves from the use of steroids & drugs as they lead to severe complications like upper gastrointestinal bleeding and stomach ulcers.
- Both are cured with plant based & nutrition dense diet - Plant based Vegan diets are rich in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals which are essential for the growth and repair of muscles and bones in our body. They even provide appropriate amount of calcium and protein required for proper functioning of our system. The advantage of plant based diet over traditional treatment of drugs is that plant based & nutrition dense diet actually treats the root cause of the disease & helps the patient to completely recover from their disease state.
Take Home Message
- Osteoarthritis is the inflammation of the joints while Osteoporosis is thinning of the bones.
- Plant protein is extremely beneficial while protein from animal foods including dairy is extremely harmful for our joints and bones.
- Drugs and painkillers will provide only symptomatic relief, while Plant Based Nutrient Dense Diet will address the root cause and cure the disease permanently.