Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage belongs to the cruciferous family. There are many varieties and colors of cabbage. Green and purple cabbage are commonly available. Bok choy and napa cabbage are known as Chinese cabbage. Cabbage is usually inexpensive and has lots of essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is regarded as one of the best source of vitamin C. It is rich in phytochemicals like thiocyanates, indole-3-carbinol, lutein, zeaxanthin, sulforaphane, isothiocyanates, vitamin B5, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin K, manganese, potassium, iron and magnesium. Purple cabbage is more nutritious than the green cabbage.
Why should you consume cabbage?
- Vitamin C present in cabbage helps in treating ulcers, depression, boosts our immune system and therefore protects against cold and cough. It helps in healing the wound faster. It also protects against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- The fiber present in the cabbage increases the roughage content therefore treats constipation, stomach ulcers and other digestive health issues.
- Since it is rich in sulfur, it protects against various infections and reduces the severity of the ulcers.
- The antioxidants present in cabbage fights against cancer. Cabbage has few anticancer compounds like lupeol, sinigrin, sulforaphane which inhibits the growth of tumor. It prevents lung, stomach and colon cancer.
- Consumption of cabbage increases the glutamine level. Glutamine is a potent anti-inflammatory substance which reduces inflammation and treats arthritis, fever, allergies and other skin related issues.
- It prevents macular degeneration, cataract and strengthens the eyes.
- Cabbage being low in calories helps in weight loss.
- Vitamin K and anthocyanins present in cabbage gives boosts to our mental function and concentration. It prevents development of neurodegenerative disorder like dementia.
- Since it is rich in calcium, magnesium and potassium that is all the three minerals required for healthy bones so, it prevents osteoporosis.
- Potassium being a vasodilator, it reduces hypertension.
- It prevents wrinkles, spots and skin discoloration.
- It reduces muscle aches and gives pain relief.
- It detoxifies the body, removes the toxins and prevents uric acid buildup.
- The juice of cabbage helps in treating fungal infections.
- Cabbage also helps in lowering serum cholesterol.