Magical Health Benefits of Bell Peppers
Capsicum, also known as bell peppers. It is found in many colors but the three most common ones are red, green and yellow. It is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folate, potassium, beta-carotene and has anti-carcinogenic properties. It is both sweet and tangy in taste. They are loaded with antioxidants. Red pepper contains high amounts of lutein, zeaxanthin, beta carotene and alpha carotene.
Why should you consume bell peppers?
- As capsicum is roughly 92% water, it is extremely low in saturated fats, calories and cholesterol. It therefore prevents oxidation of cholesterol or rise of LDL cholesterol.
- It is highly efficient in improving the metabolism. It reduces the triglycerides levels which helps in storing the fats in the blood. Thus instead of storing fats, our body burns these fats and improves the metabolism.
- Capsaicin a compound found in capsicum that prevents transmission of the message from pain receptors to the brain, thus relieving from any kind of pain.
- Capsaicin gets rid of the carcinogens, thus prevents cancer.
- It prevents blood clotting that is the blood clots formed inside the blood vessels. Capsaicin dissolves the blood clots thus preventing atherosclerosis.
- It fights against food borne bacteria.
- It is very effective for weight loss. Sliced bell peppers contain only 37 calories per servings.
- It reduces the heart disease and reverses the damage caused due to the oxidation of the cholesterol on the blood vessels.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin found in capsicum are extremely good for eyes.
- It increases body’s immunity. Vitamin A and vitamin C prevents from common cold, other infections and also reduces the inflammation.
- They have high amounts of vitamin B6 which increases the levels of the happy hormones that is serotonin and norepinephrine. Increased level of these hormones reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- It is good for skin as vitamin C promotes production of collagen.
- It is beneficial for pregnant women as it contains folate.