A Spice That Works Wonder For Digestive Health - "Cumin"
Cumin seeds are dried herb which is extensively used in cooking due to its distinct flavor and aroma. It is added in almost all the Indian dishes. It is yellowish brown to black in color. Due to its medicinal property people are suing cumin since ages. Cumin seeds are rich in dietary fiber, iron, calcium, B vitamins, antioxidants. It has zero cholesterol and negligible amounts of fats.
Why should you consume cumin seeds?
- Cumin works wonder when it comes to digestive health. It treat constipation, flatulence and abdominal pain. A compound known as thymol present in cumin seeds is responsible for stimulating the digestive glands to produce bile juice, enzymes and acids. This helps in better digestion of the food. It also relieves of hemorrhoids due to its high fiber content. Cuminaldehyde an aromatic organic compound stimulates the salivary glands of our mouth thus beginning the digestion process.
- Vitamin C and vitamin A being antioxidant in nature, it helps in boosting our immune system by increasing the numbers of white blood cells and also improving the metabolism. These vitamins fights against the toxins and free radicals produced in our body thus preventing oxidative stress and host of chronic diseases like cancer, heart diseases and many more.
- Cumin seeds being anti-congestive and expectorant in nature, forms the natural remedy for treating asthma and bronchitis. It helps in reducing the congestion and production of mucus which impairs breathing. It helps in elimination of mucus and phlegm present in our body, thus healing the lungs once again after the clearance of mucus.
- Vitamin e and vitamin C together protects the skin. Vitamin E prevents aging and keeps the skin healthy and young. Cumin seeds helps in treating various skin conditions like eczema, acne, spots, wrinkles, scars and also provides protection against UV light. Being antimicrobial and antifungal in nature, provides protection against bacterial and fungal infections.
- Insomnia is caused due to stress, digestive disorder or other medical conditions. Cumin seeds effectively cure digestive related issues and also helps in lowering the stress thus treating insomnia.
- Cumin seeds prevents diabetes by reducing the chances of hypoglycemia that is low blood sugar level and glucosuria that is excess of glucose in urine.
- Being antibacterial and antiviral in nature, it protects us from common cold and flu.
- It is natural cure for anemia as it is highly rich in iron. Iron further improves the cognitive functions of the brain.
- Cumin is rich in calcium. Calcium is required for blood clotting, muscle contraction, nerve transmission and for healthy bones. It prevents osteoporosis.
- Cumin helps in detoxification due to the presence of cuminaldehyde, thymol and phosphorus. It helps in the removal of the toxins through urine and also maintains proper electrolyte balance.
- Vitamin A and vitamin C imparts anticarcinogenic properties to cumin. Vitamin A fights against oxidative stress and thus treats various forms of cancer especially gastric and colon cancer.
- Cumin being rich in iron is very beneficial for lactating mothers and for women who are undergoing their menstrual cycle.
- It improves concentration and cognitive health. It prevents or reduces the risk of dementia and alzheimer’s disease.
- It also helps in treating insects bites or painful stings.